Wednesday, September 1, 2010

omigod!!! Tara LOVES surprises!!!!!!!!












Saturday, August 21, 2010.

I thought this was going to be a typical third Saturday in August, meaning I'd be going to Eva Marie's birthday party. Eva is the daughter of Melissa, my best friend/MOH. She was born on my birthday 3 years ago, so it's not unusual for Melissa to throw her a party just over halfway through the month. Melissa emailed me a couple of months ago to let me know about the party so I could take off from work, and a couple weeks before we got the invite. So I got some cute gifts, packed my bathing suit and towel, and off Chuck and I went. We arrived just after 1pm, and found Marta, Melissa's niece on her phone in the front yard. Marta and I started chatting and walked into the backyard. As we turn the corner, the first people I see are Heather and MaryKate, two friends I made on my trip to Kenya. (Here they are with me).



As I scan the crowd, I see my Aunt Ginny, Lisa & Katy, cousin Amie, Stacy, Ali and Laurie. It suddenly occurs to me that I am NOT at Eva's party - all these people are there for ME!!!! Melissa and the crowd yell, "SURPRISE!!!!" and boy oh boy was I SURPRISED!!!!!!!!!! Before I could even begin to digest what is happening, another surprise shows up. From around the corner comes Dana, my oldest friend/bridesmaid/former Floridian/recent Denver transplant. Then it was like a scene from a movie; I dropped my bags and ran into Dana's arms (see photo......) Tears of joy made their way into the picture and I began to make the rounds.


All I kept saying was, "MELISSA! You let ALL these people come to your house!!!!!!"



Not only was the shower a surprise, but it was an ALICE IN WONDERLAND themed shower!!! I am OBSESSED with Alice, and was blown away by everything that my girls and my mom did for me. EVERY detail was perfect - from the Eat Me/Drink Me tags on the straws and toothpicks, to the centerpieces made of red roses, to the Drink Me tags (made by my cousin Jennifer) that were put on the wishing well wine bottles, to the bookmark favors (made by Toni). My mom got Alice plush toys and a framed Alice photo to put on the bridal party table, making it complete. I couldn't have asked for a better party. I felt so loved, and it made me realize how well my mom and my girls know me.


We played some bridal party games (which was fun and not cheesy or boring) - What was Tara wearing? How well does Tara know Chuck, Toilet Paper Bride and a 50/50.
Here we are grading the What was Tara wearing papers, and two Toilet Paper Bride contestants (Lisa was the winner!!)


Toni was a huge help when it came to gift opening and kept it moving like a well oiled machine, while Beth kept track of who gave me what. Dana made 2 INSANELY awesome mix cds with help from the other girls. Lea made the ribbon/bow hat - what shower is complete without that???


Jennifer made AWESOME cupcakes, complete with Eat Me wafers, and my mom got me custom made Alice red velvet cupcakes from a vegan bakery that I love - Sweet Avenue Bakeshop.

This was seriously one of the happiest days of my life. I couldn't have planned this any better if I had done it myself. I cannot thank all the people involved enough. :0

Here are some pictures from the rest of the day!

A pretty cool quilt!


My mom and Chuck :0)
Dana, Me and the two Melissa's PLHS Class of '95!!!!! We had A LOT of fun back then. SO glad we're all still friends!!!!

Hot Topic circa 2004....... Cat, Stacy and Hot Mary!!

Ali and I will be on The Amazing Race one of these days.......

My Aunt Cindy, Laurie and Andrew (he was waiting for Chuck to arrive to take him away!!)

Terry and Kelly - two of my favorite mamas to be!!!

My parents, Chuck and I.


Me and my girls!!!!!!! LOVE LOVE LOVE!!! Lea, Cat, Dana, Melissa, Toni, Mara and Beth.

One more of me and my mama!!!

3 comments:

  1. what a great day that was. i was very happy that tara was surprised. the gifts were amazing - especially the one's made by aunt ginny! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun shower this must have been! I would have wanted to bring my bathing suit though :0) (sorry, I was very distracted by the lovely pool). Vegan cake is amazing, I can't even imagine how good vegan red velvet is!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG, what a day. I was crying tears of joy myself when I saw Dana, as I know her a long long time too, but not as long as my niece Tara does :). When Dana stepped out & I said Tara look, that was it, I really started crying almost as much as Tara did (but not that much). Melissa was the PERFECT hostess & her hubby is also a doll. i had a ball playing in the pool water steps with Eve Marie :). This had to be the BEST Shower I have ever been to. EVERYTHING & I mean EVERYTHING was PERFECT in EVERY WAY. The bridesmaids & my sister (Tara's mom) did a splendid job, oh you too Jennifer :)

    ReplyDelete