Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Choose your own adventure: The Wedding License!

So in order to get married you need a wedding license. In order to get said license, you need to have certain forms of identification. One of the more critical pieces of identification that is needed is the Social Security card. Something, I Charles Moran, have been unable to locate.

Thus begins Fridays' adventure in bureaucracy. We had a plan and we were going to stick to it, no matter what the cost. We had an appointment at 11:00 at the Montclair municipal building to meet with a nice lady who will issue us a marriage license.

Rise and shine. First part of any adventure is to pick up a side kick and to eat breakfast with them. Lisa Ann was to be that sidekick. She enjoys breakfast and also has a keen sense for bureaucracy. She also will be the witness for us when we get the license.

So breakfast.


Breakfast is always exciting, and fun as you can see from the looks on our faces. Then it was time for the Scooby Gang to take a "quick trip" to the Social Security office in Montclair. I will admit it is my own ignorance thinking that this would only take about ten minutes to do.

I was dropped off in front of the Social Security office about 10 am. I had hopes and dreams that this might be a painless process. I suggested to the girls that they go and browse some of the stores nearby while I dealt with the replacement of my Social Security card.

Around 10:45 am, I called Tara and told her that we might be running late. She contacted the lady at the Montclair municipal building and they told us they could extend our appointment to 11:30am. Plenty of time, right?

Wrong, I didn't leave until about 11:45am. Thankfully I had the documents I needed but we missed the window of opportunity to get the license. Tara at this point had disbanded the Scooby Gang, and dropped Lisa off. She also respectfully told the lady at Montclair municipal building that we were going to miss our appointment and would have to reschedule.


This event prompted me to post on Facebook, "Wedding License Fail." This garnered some of the internets attention.



What to do! I had taken the day off of work to be responsible and get these things done, and now I will have to reschedule and with everyone involved to make it work again. Oh well, Lisa said she had a nice breakfast and Tara and I went to Bed, Bath and Beyond. There was nothing we could do.

Then it happened, Tara's phone rang and our adventure was back on. We had a 1:30pm appointment with the wedding license department at Montclair municipal building. The Scooby Gang was back on the case.

So at 1:25pm we pulled into the parking lot of the municipal building, met up with Lisa and went inside.


Here I am explaining to the nice the lady that if Tara and I were related prior to being married that it would be weird, and probably kind of sad.



Lisa was the the witness to the event. To which I asked the municipal office worker if Tara and I were now in fact married. She told me we are not.



Then Tara paid the 28 dollars to make it official.


Then I tired to escape through a ladder to the roof of the building.


Truth be told, it was a fun day and everything worked out fine, thanks special shout out to Lisa for being a sport!

6 comments:

  1. Chuck you are too funny, I love your sense of humor (now that I get it, it took me long enough). I am honored to call you my nephew, I will as of October 9th, 2010 :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. pretty cool stuff mate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i am SO happy to call you son. you are a delight and i welcome you to the crazy fritsch family with open arms. mom - good luck, you will need it. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. $28?? Mike and I paid $5 in Nutley 6 years ago. Social Security office is NEVER fun and NEVER quick. Wait until Tara has to go to get her name changed and then after dealing with them, has to then go sit again at the DMV. Government offices will never get their act together it seems.

    Funny stuff though.

    Jennifer

    P.S. According to our priest, once you get the license and then sign it with witnesses, then you're officially married, ceremony or not. So technically, we were "married" the day before our wedding.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't realize that a couple needed a witness to get a marriage license?

    ReplyDelete
  6. brandi - in jersey you do. i don't know what it is like for ny.

    ReplyDelete