Tuesday, April 13, 2010

It's been a long road.....



Wow. Planning a wedding can SUCK. We're super excited about all of this, but the guest list is killing me!!! We've spent the last 2 months staring at the list, and trying to figure out who we have to (unfortunately) cut. We have too many friends and family, and we just can't afford to invite them all. My biggest mistake - getting way ahead of myself and asking people for their addresses on, oh, the day AFTER we got engaged! So many of those people have been taken off the list after we realized how big it was. My advice to anyone who is thinking about getting married (SEAN AND BETH, LISTEN UP!!!!) - before you get others' hopes up by asking them for their addresses and telling them it's for your wedding, is this - 1. write down everyone you would like to invite 2. figure out your budget 3. cut the list to where YOU need it to be to remain sane 4. THEN ask people for their addresses. This way there are no hard feelings. You won't have to apologize to people later, like I will surely be doing. :( We were able to cut the list a couple of ways.......we decided that unless someone is dating someone seriously, they are not invited with a plus one. Sorry guys - but I don 't want any strangers at my wedding. Then, and now this is the super sucky part - those friends/family who ARE dating someone, but we really don't know them.....they're also not invited with a plus one. Eeeeeeeeek!!!! I know that's probably awful wedding etiquette, but right now we have no other choice. We CANNOT invite 300 people to this wedding, we just can't, and that's where we would be if we didn't make these cuts. Yeah yeah, everyone says 20% of the people you invite don't come, but even so - that's still A LOT of people. So I am apologizing in advance to the ones I will offend because they won't get an invite, AND the significant others I will offend who are not invited. Unless we somehow win the lottery, this is how it has to be.

4 comments:

  1. you saved me and carrie allot of trouble and hurt feelings thanks tara

    ReplyDelete
  2. i just bought a mega millions ticket. it's over 100 million. keep your eyes crossed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are doing the right thing. That's what Mike and I did and it was hard but it had to be done. Good luck! I hate to say it but wait until you have to do the seating chart. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is what it is. I know when I planned Michael's Bar Mitzvah I also had the same problem. You want to invite everyone but unfortunately you just can't. If people get pissed or upset too bad, they aren't in your shoes & have no clue how stressful this is for you & Chuck. Don't worry abt me as I don't have a + 1 right now, but hey you never know I might in the near future (lol) doubt that very much.

    ReplyDelete